Every student who requests accommodations or adjustments due to a disability will be invited to participate in the interactive process. Below is a general outline of the interactive process
1. Request Accommodations
- Register for services online.
- Stop into the office.
- Call us at (989) 774-3018.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Submit Verification of Documentation
3. Discussion With SDS Professionals About:
- How your condition impacts a major life function.
- Subject areas or times that are particularly difficult for you.
- Expectations of higher education including anticipated work load, program technical standards, attendance, code of conduct, standards, etc.
4. Determination of Reasonable Accommodations
- Staff at SDS will then determine what accommodations are best for each individual student.
- This process normally takes 7-10 business days.
5. Notification of Faculty
- At the beginning of each semester SDS will e-mail pdf copies
of the Faculty Notification Letters to the student’s cmich account.
- It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to distribute, in person
or by e-mail, the Notification Letters to his/her instructors to notify them of
eligibility and desire to use accommodations.
- SDS highly recommends that students meet with instructors
early in the semester to discuss particulars of their accommodations and how they
will work in individual classes.
6. Continued Interaction
- Students are encouraged to work with SDS throughout the semester but especially if they are experiencing any difficulty.