Every student who requests accommodations or adjustments due to a disability will be invited to participate in the interactive process. Below is a general outline of the interactive process:
1. Request Accommodations
2. Submit Documentation
Diagnoses of disabilities documented by family members are unacceptable. Please have your provider thoroughly complete the Accommodation Documentation Form.
3. Discussion With SDS Professionals About:
- How your condition impacts a major life function.
- Subject areas or times that are particularly difficult for you.
- Expectations of higher education including anticipated work load, program technical standards, attendance, code of conduct, standards, etc.
4. Determination of Reasonable Accommodations
- Staff at SDS will then determine what accommodations are best for each individual student.
- This process can take up to 2-3 weeks.
5. Notification of Faculty
- SDS will e-mail PDF copies
of the Faculty Notification Letters to the student’s CMU email account.
- It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to distribute, in person
or by e-mail, the Notification Letters to their instructors to notify them of
eligibility and desire to use accommodations.
- SDS highly recommends that students meet with instructors
early in the semester to discuss particulars of their accommodations and how they
will work in individual classes.
6. Continued Interaction
- Students are encouraged to work with SDS at any
point, but especially if they are experiencing any difficulty with their
academic accommodations, have a new diagnosis to share, are experiencing
different impacts due to medication changes or ongoing disability-related
treatment or progression, or wish to discuss support resources that may
be available to aid in their success.