Our photojournalism program combines photography and reporting with storytelling. As a photojournalism student, you'll develop the photography and visual editing skills for careers in reporting, publishing, advertising, sports and more. Join award-winning professors and students in one of Michigan's accredited journalism programs.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
As a photojournalism major, you'll become a skilled photographer and photo editor in the only program of its kind in the state. Our top-tier and accredited program will train you in reporting, storytelling, photography and editing. You'll also gain hands-on experience through internships, service-learning projects and more.
You’ll join a community of students and alumni who have been Pulitzer Prize finalists and won major awards including, the Hearst Award and College Photographer of the Year International award.
Many of our graduates pursue careers in sports and travel photography, magazine publishing, advertising, newspaper reporting and broadcast television. Alumni have gone on to work at The Washington Post, The San Antonio Express-News and more.
You'll receive guidance and mentorship from faculty with nearly 100 years of collective experience. Some of them have won state, national and international awards. In small classroom settings, you'll develop a portfolio of work to demonstrate your experience to future employers.
You’ll also have the opportunity to acquire real-world experience from internships with local and national organizations. Plus, you can join CMU’s very own campus newspaper Central Michigan Life and/or online feature publication Grand Central Magazine. And if you’re interested in travel photography, you can intern at four national parks including, two in Alaska.
Our department offers you access to over $30,000 worth of state-of-the-art photographic equipment and software. These resources can help you acquire the technical and creative skills for many sought-after careers.
As a photojournalism student here, you'll:
- Be part of one of the top photojournalism programs in the country — and the only one in Michigan.
- Develop a portfolio demonstrating your theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience as a photographer or photo editor to pursue careers after graduation.
- Learn from award-winning faculty with nearly 100 collective hours of professional experience.
- Join a community of accomplished and award-winning students and alumni.
- Intern with an organization and/or work for CMU's very own campus publications.
- Gain access to state-of-the-art photography and visual editing equipment and software.
Careers & Outcomes
Our accomplished and award-winning photojournalism graduates have pursued careers in publishing, news reporting, advertising, fashion, sports, television, graphic design and more.
|Graphic Designer/Desktop Publisher||$50,810|