Are you curious about what goes into creating the products around you — things like cars, kitchen appliances, machinery or even toys? Learn to conceptualize design sketches and drawings for various products. Create complex layouts, models and prototypes while applying technology and manufacturing principles to product designs.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
What good is a great idea for a product if it doesn’t work? Learn how to take products from first sketch to finished design. Our product design engineering technology major emphasizes the knowledge, skills and tools of both industrial designers and engineers.
The product design process is the efficient and effective development of ideas and concepts. This fresh thinking leads to new goods, tools and components. With this degree, you’ll develop the expertise needed for a career designing systems, components or processes for new products, or improving on existing ones.
You’ll take courses in design, materials, modeling, manufacturing and much more. You’ll take advanced mathematics courses, and you’ll have access to modern labs with state-of-the-art computer-aided engineering and manufacturing technologies. You'll complete a capstone project where you'll work with a team of students from across engineering disciplines. And you’ll connect with a local company to help solve a real-world problem.
As a student in our Product Design Engineering Technology program, you’ll:
- Gain access to CMU’s state-of-the-art labs for computer-aided design and manufacturing, electronics, robotics and manufacturing systems.
- Use parametric computer-aided drafting and design software — CAD systems available to students include CATIA, NX, and SolidWorks.
- Use advanced 3D parametric modeling tools for design and analysis.
- Learn how to apply physics, materials, manufacturability, environmental and economic concepts to the design of machine or mechanical elements.
- Learn about industry codes, specifications and standards (ASME, ANSI, or others).
- Gain professional experience through internships with laboratories and Michigan industries.
Careers & Outcomes
Graduates of the Product Design Engineering Technology program at CMU will be prepared for many rewarding career opportunities. Product design engineers have their hands on many projects in major industries. Graduates and interns are actively recruited by GM, Ford and Chrysler.
|Mask Layout Designer||$104,868|
|Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Designer||$74,731|
|Electrical Design Technician||$62,992|
Baja SAE is a collegiate design series organized by the Society of Automotive Engineers that challenges students to engineer, fabricate, and race developmental single passenger off-road vehicles. The Baja SAE Team is a real-world manufacturing project that teaches students not only skills in the realm of engineering and technology, but business skills such as logistics and marketing as well.
CMU Formula Racing Team
Formula SAE is a student design series organized by SAE International (Society of Automotive Engineers). The concept behind Formula SAE is that a fictional manufacturing company has contracted a design team to develop a miniature style Formula 1 race car.