Forging CMU's future.
At Central Michigan University, our mission, vision, five strategic priorities and core values create a living plan that advances more than 120 years of educational leadership.
Our Mission: We are a community committed to the pursuit of knowledge, wisdom, discovery and creativity. We provide student-centered education and foster personal and intellectual growth to prepare students for productive careers, meaningful lives and responsible citizenship in a global society.
Our Vision: Central Michigan University, an inclusive community of scholars, is a national leader in higher education, inspiring excellence and innovation.
Our Five Strategic Priorities:
- Student Success
- Research and Creative Activity
- Quality Faculty and Staff
- Community Partnerships
- Infrastructure Stewardship
Our Core Values: Integrity, respect, compassion, inclusiveness, social responsibility, excellence, innovation
The vision, priorities and related critical initiatives were adopted by the CMU Board of Trustees in December 2012 after 18 months of collaboration across the campus and community. The mission and core values were adopted in 2010.
Examples of CMU’s Strategic Plan Five-Year Metrics
- CMU’s freshman to sophomore retention rate will increase from 76% to 80%.
- CMU’s six-year graduation rate will increase from 58% to 63%, compared to a national peer average of 42%, as reported by Business Leaders of Michigan.
- The number of students taking service-learning courses will double.
- External funding for research and creative endeavors among CMU faculty will increase from $14 million to $25 million.
- CMU’s economic impact on local and state economies will climb from $837 million to $1.1 billion. (December 2013 data from Anderson Economic Group, LLC puts CMU’s economic impact at $941 million.)
- Annual fundraising revenues will climb from $12.3 million to $23 million.