Skip to main content

New Student Checklist

Now that you've signed up for New Student Orientation, here are a few things you need to do before attending your Orientation Day and beginning your first semester.

Complete online requirements 

Once you register for new student orientation, you'll have some requirements to complete online. If you have already registered for orientation, make sure to check your personal email (email on your CMU application) for more information.

In addition to those online requirements, be sure you take care of the following items:

      Being a Student

      three CMU students walking through campus
      • Activate your CMU Account. Your CMU account provides you access to your CMU email, housing application, financial aid package, and just about everything you need as a CMU student. Set up your account using your New CMU Account PIN found at the bottom of your admissions letter and in your applicant portal.

      • Get your CMU ID card. You have the option of having a physical ID or setting up a mobile ID. You can get started visiting the Central Card webpage. You must be registered for classes in order to get a physical card.

      • Check your CMU email account oftenAll official university communication is sent to your '' email address. Make a habit to check your CMU email several times during the week. CentralLink contains many important links to conduct your business as a CMU student.

      Your academics 

      four CMU students working together in a lab
      • Send your official transcripts. In order to have your academic history evaluated and applied to your Central Michigan University record, send your final transcripts from your prior schools as soon as you have completed classes. If you are just finishing high school, be sure to have your high school send your final transcript after your graduation date. Please email apply or mail them to the following address:

                Central Michigan University
                Attn: Transcript Department
                802 Industrial Drive
                Mount Pleasant, MI 48858

               Verify transfer credits, along with credits from AP, CLEP and IB, on 
      Degree Progress.

      Living on campus

      aerial view of a Towers residence hall

      • Register your vehicle. If you're bringing a car to campus, make sure it's registered with Parking Services.


      two students and professional staff member having a discussion around a table

      • Double-check your finances. If you filed your FAFSA, the government may require you to upload certain documents or provide additional information to complete the process. Log into the Financial Aid Portal (Cmich login required)  to check on the status of your financial aid and plan finances for the year. 

      • Schedule a financial meeting. Take some time to schedule an appointment with a financial advisor in CMU's OneCentral office. 

      • Get an on campus job. If you are interested in earning some extra income while taking classes, be sure to apply for an on campus student position with Student Employment Services.

      • Bank with confidence! Central Michigan University has selected PNC Bank as the Preferred Banking Provider for students. For additional information on the PNC Bank campus program, please visit or the PNC on campus branch in the Bovee University Center.

      Online resources and publications

      We have many online resources available to you 24/7 to answer the questions you may have about CMU and life in Mt Pleasant. And if not, feel free to connect with us for more information!