Services and Amenities
The residence hall front desk operation provides security and a customer service function.
The desk staff help monitor the residence halls. They view video cameras and report any suspicious activity to University staff.
At least one front desk in each community (East, South and Towers) is staffed 24 hours per day. The front desk helps assist residents with their needs and questions. The desk staff can contact paraprofessional staff on duty if there is a building issue that the staff needs to respond to. In addition, the front desk staff assists with mail and package distribution.
Work request system
You will use our work request system to submit maintenance requests. The link to this system is also found on the back of the front door of each suite/unit. (Cmich log-in required)
A Student Success Center is located in each residence hall community and is a place where student affairs/services professionals collaborate to help residents become successful students.
Success Center staff include a Care Advocate and Assistant Director of Residence Life.
- East Community
- South Community
- Towers Community
Care Advocate Program
Sponsored by the Office of Residence Life, the Care Advocate Program places licensed mental health professionals directly in the residence halls. Their mission is to provide staff consultation, support, crisis intervention and proactive prevention efforts addressing mental health issues, and to act as a bridge to partner offices supporting the personal growth and academic progress of students. Services are free.
- East Student Success Center, 989-774-1879
- South Student Success Center, 989-774-3089
- Towers Student Success Center, 989-774-6601
Residents should not have to worry about finding coins or swiping when it comes to doing laundry. Students who live on campus will enjoy laundry included in their semester rate.
Internet accessCMU provides Wi-Fi access to all students on campus. In each residential room, there is also an ethernet hookup.
Residence hall and University Apartment students may take the recycling from their units to the Maroon recycling bins located outside their community near the dumpster. Learn more about Central Sustainability.
The Residential Fitness Centers located in the East, Towers, and Graduate Housing communities are open by appointment only. You cannot work out without an appointment.
Residential Fitness Centers
East Community hours:
- Monday - Thursday: 9-11 a.m. and 2-10 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Saturday: 4-8 p.m.
- Sunday: 4-10 p.m.
Towers Community hours:
- Monday - Thursday: 2-10 p.m.
- Friday: 12-2 p.m.
- Saturday: 4-8 p.m.
- Sunday: 4-10 p.m.
Graduate Housing hours:
- 24-hour access
Group fitness class guidelines and information
- No classes during final exam week.
- All classes are FREE.
- These classes are available to all CMU students residing in on-campus housing.
- Participants will be allowed to enter class up to 10 minutes after the posted start time. Doors will be closed and no entrance granted if participant is more than 10 minutes late.
- Participants need to sign in on the provided sign-in sheet upon arrival to class.
Fitness and wellness programs
- Personal Training - Available all semester. Free when you participate in the Chip Fit Personal Training Program.
- Chip Champs Incentive - Available all semester. Track your attendance in the binder available in Towers or East Fitness Centers and earn prizes for working out. FREE!
- Equipment Orientations - Learn how to use fitness equipment properly. Call or visit Towers or East Fitness Centers the first two weeks of class for available orientation times. FREE!
Contact Us: Towers Fitness Center (Campbell Hall, 1st Floor) at x2158 or East Fitness Center (Herrig Hall, 1st Floor) at x1979.
Fitness Center use guidelines
- Weight belts are not allowed on strength training machines.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times, including gym shoes and shirts (no skin should come in contact with any padded areas of the equipment).
- Only Fitness Center weight pins may be used in the weight machines.
- Users are recommended to bring and utilize their own towels when working out.
- Personal belongings are not to be brought in the Fitness Center. Backpacks, jackets, etc...can be left in cubbies located in each Fitness Center and should be cleared out at the end of the participant's workout. Keys may be kept at the Fitness Center Desk at the risk of each member.
- Only one set at a time may be performed on the strength training machines during peak times to allow all users equal opportunity on each machine.
- No food is allowed in the Fitness Center. Only beverages in spill-proof bottles will be permitted.
- A maximum of 30 minutes is allowed on the cardio machines during peak times. Participants must sign-up in person for a time slot. If the person signed up for their time slot is late, they forfeit the reservation.
- Users must clean off equipment with the provided disinfectant and towels when they are done working out. The solution should be sprayed on the towel and not directly on the fitness equipment.
- Wet shoes are not allowed in the facility.