Michigan State Law prohibits the possession or consumption of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. CMU and the Office of Residence Life expect students and their guests to comply fully with these laws.
- A resident who is 21 or older may possess alcohol and drink responsibly in his or her room at any time.
- A resident who is 21 or older may drink in the room of another 21-year-old resident if that resident is present.
- All guests must conform to the residence hall alcohol policy. Example: If a 21-year-old guest visits a room where the residents are not 21, no alcohol is allowed, even by the 21-year-old guest. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests.
- No alcohol is allowed in any room at any time unless at least one resident of that room is 21 or older. Alcohol in a room may only be purchased, stored and consumed by a resident 21 or older.
- Anyone present in a room where an alcohol infraction has occurred will be considered in violation of the alcohol policy.
- No alcohol, which is open, is allowed at any time in any public area of a residence hall by residents or their guests. Anyone under 21 may not possess alcohol in any public area of the residence hall. A public area may be a hallway, lounge, lobby, or any other area not contained in a specific residence hall room.
- Any alcohol being transported by someone who is 21 or older must be completely covered from open view and be taken directly to the resident's room.
- Anyone present in a room where a controlled substances infraction has occurred will be considered in violation of the controlled substances policy.
- Any student is responsible for the behavior and objects in a room or common space where a policy violation has occurred if they are in the space, regardless of their level of participation. A residence hall room and/or university apartment is considered the entire living space once you cross the threshold from the hallway/sidewalk into the dwelling.
Other alcohol and/or controlled substances policies are specifically outlined in the Community Policies and Procedures. All students will be responsible for reading and understanding this document.
Residents also agree not to possess, use, manufacture, produce or distribute, or aid in the use, manufacture, production or distribution of any controlled substance except as expressly permitted by law.