Safety and Security
Each resident must be aware of and abide by safety and security regulations to protect themselves and their community.
- Keep your door locked. This is especially important when you are asleep or when you are leaving your living unit for a couple of minutes.
- Carry your CentralCard. Residents must use their CentralCard to tap/swipe into residential buildings.
- Never prop open an outside door. Propping doors allows people who aren't supposed to be in the hall access to the hall.
- Don't keep your ID with your keys. Those key chains with ID holders are a convenient way to carry your things, but if you lose your keys, you lose your ID. Whoever finds them knows where you live.
- Report missing keys immediately. Residents should immediately inform a front desk staff member or a paraprofessional staff member if their keys are missing.
- Immediately leave when a fire alarm sounds. When you hear the fire alarm, leave the building. It's a good idea, and it's the law.
- Don't tamper with fire equipment. Tampering with smoke detectors, fire extinguishers or fire alarm pull stations puts everyone in the community in great danger and will result in disciplinary action.
- Immediately report any suspicious persons or unescorted guests to the front desk or to the CMU Police.