​Residence Life FAQ for 2020-2021

What does building access and social distancing look like this year?

Individuals may only enter the residence halls through the main lobby doors. All entrances have signs and markings as reminders of social distancing requirements.

Students must use their CentralCard to enter buildings and should not hold open or prop open exterior doors to admit others.

After entering, individuals should sanitize their hands at the nearest sanitizer station and follow social distancing guidelines and all directions on signs throughout the building.

Please keep right in stairwells and hallways and make every effort to maintain social distancing.  

Do students have access to kitchens?

Each residence hall has a designated kitchen for residents with a stove, refrigerator, and microwave, and additional microwaves are available throughout each building. Each area is stocked with cleaning products that meet the CDC standards for cleaning and disinfecting, and students must wipe down appliances before and after use.  

University apartment residents have full use of the kitchen within their unit.

Do students have access to laundry rooms and study rooms?

Due to social distancing requirements, only a limited number of individuals may use laundry rooms, study rooms and lounges at the same time. Students should use the LaundryView app to see when laundry machines are available.

Students should follow all directional signage, adhere to social distancing guidelines and wipe down commonly used surfaces using the provided cleaning products, which meet CDC standards for cleaning and disinfecting, before and after each use.

Are guests allowed in the halls and apartments?

For the safety of our CMU community, we strongly discourage visitors (any individual who does not reside on campus) in the residence halls or apartments. Visitors who must come to campus, should remain in residence hall lobbies where social distancing is possible. Visitors from different housing communities (East, North, South and Towers) may visit with residents from other housing communities within the residence hall lobbies.

Each resident is allowed one guest in their living unit. No overnight guests will be allowed in university residence halls or apartments for the fall 2020 semester. In terms of specific living units, a guest is considered any person who has an Office of Residence Life Housing Contract and lives in your housing community (East, North, South and Towers). For example, a resident from East Community cannot be a guest of a resident in the North Community. The policy is subject to change depending on university, local, and national guidelines and

What do cleaning procedures look like in the residence halls?

Enhanced cleaning protocols are in place on campus for high-risk/high-touch areas (e.g., door handles, light switches, handrails, interior doors, door push plates, common spaces, flat surfaces such as tables, elevator buttons). Increased cleaning will be performed by custodial staff in restrooms and common areas.

Hand sanitizer dispensers are located at entrance and exit points for all buildings on campus, as well as near elevators in the residence halls.

Students are responsible for consistently cleaning and disinfecting their living unit and the exterior door handle. Cleaning products that meet CDC standards for cleaning and disinfecting are available for student use in common areas.

Do I have to wear a face covering?

Central Michigan University is requiring all students, faculty, staff and visitors to wear face masks or coverings at all times in public areas and outdoors where social distancing is not possible.

Face masks or coverings (e.g., disposable masks or cloth face coverings) must be worn by all individuals at all times in public areas within residential facilities (e.g., lobbies, lounges, hallways, stairwells, laundry rooms, elevators, meeting rooms, classrooms, public restrooms, etc.) and any area outside of your living unit.

Students who refuse to comply with face mask/covering guidelines will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

What if I have been exposed to COVID-19?

If you are identified through contact tracing as having come into close contact with someone who has COVID-19, you will be contacted by the Central Michigan District Health Department and instructed to quarantine.

If you are instructed to quarantine, you have two options:

  • You may quarantine in Wheeler Hall on campus for 14 days. CMU Health will provide additional details if you select this option.
  • You may choose to return home to quarantine for 14 days. You must receive permission from the Health Department to leave campus and return home. 

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Students living in residence halls who test positive for COVID-19 or who are named a close contact have two options:

  • They may self-isolate in Wheeler Hall.
  • They may return home to self-isolate with permission from the Health Department.

Students living in on-campus apartments are allowed to self-isolate in their apartment because they have their own bedroom and access to a kitchen.

What happens if I want to leave campus to return home and take classes online for the spring semester?

Residential students who are enrolled in all-online courses or who have arranged with their faculty to participate in their HyFlex classes remotely and wish to return home may end their housing contract at any time during the semester without paying the $300 contract cancellation fee. Students are responsible for paying a prorated daily amount, covering meals, FLEX Dollars, and housing costs, for the time they have lived on campus. Students who live in a residence hall or university apartment may contact their residence director/residence hall director to schedule a checkout time. 

When will the residence halls close for the fall semester?

The residence halls will close at 6 p.m. Wednesday, November 25. Residence halls in the East Community (Celani, Emmons, Fabiano, Herrig, Saxe, and Woldt Halls) will remain open during break, but there will be limited food service available on-campus during the break until January 9, 2021.

When will Northwest Apartments, Graduate Housing and Kewadin Village close for the fall semester?

Students who do not plan to return for the spring semester must move out by 6 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25, for winter break. The apartments remain open during winter break for those registered for the spring semester.

Do I have to live on campus for spring if I am a first- or second-year student or I have an Office of Residence Life Housing Contract?

Central Michigan University's campus residency policy requires that first and second-year students

live in a residence hall or in Northwest Apartments unless they are registered for all online classes. Students who are enrolled in all-online courses or who have arranged with their faculty to participate in their HyFlex classes remotely may choose to live at their home address.

Students who reach the four-semester requirement at midyear are required to complete the full term of their contract for the academic year (fall and spring semester) unless they appeal to cancel their Housing Contract.

Will I retain my scholarship if I live at home?

Most academic, need-based, merit and other scholarships will not be impacted by a decision to live at home. However, students who receive any form of housing grant will lose those awards if they are not living on campus.

Students receiving housing scholarships or grants will forfeit them while living at home. If a student returns to live on campus for the spring 2021 semester, the housing scholarship or grant will be reinstated.

If you have questions about your merit or talent-based scholarships and eligibility, please contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 989-774-3674.

What if I do not plan on returning to campus for spring 2021?

Students who plan to move home for spring 2021 must contact their Residence Hall Director/Residence Director via email.

When do classes begin for spring 2021?

Classes begin Monday, January 11, 2021, and will be online only January 11 – 15, 2021. Courses shift to meet in person, online or in a hybrid-flexible — or HyFlex — format beginning the week of Jan. 18.

When does the spring 2021 housing application open (new spring 2021 students or students who did not live on campus at the end of the fall semester)?

The housing application for spring 2021 opened at 9 a.m. on Monday, October 19. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 989-774-3111 for more information.

If I am new to campus for spring 2021, when will I find out my spring housing assignment?

Housing assignments will be sent out via email by Wednesday, December 9, 2020, and Wednesday, January 6, 2021.

If I had an assignment for fall 2020, but left campus during the fall semester, will I receive the same assignment I had for fall 2020?

The Office of Residence Life will do their best to place you in your preferred location based on availability. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 989-774-3111 for more information.

How will students safely move onto campus for the spring semester?

Move-in will take place by appointment between Friday, January 15 and Sunday, January 17.

  • Face coverings will be required.
  • Students may arrive at any time during their scheduled one-hour appointment.
  • To ensure social distancing, each student should bring only one family member or helper into the residence hall to assist with move-in.
  • Students living in the University Apartments will not need an appointment.
  • Students may arrive after 6 p.m. on Sunday, January 17, without an appointment.

When will students sign up for their move-in appointment for spring 2021?

Students will receive an email with instructions on how to sign up for their move-in appointment on Tuesday, January 5, 2021.

When may I move into my residence or apartment for the spring semester?

  • Returning students who live in the East Community (Celani, Emmons, Fabiano, Herrig, Saxe, and Woldt) or the apartments may return at any time during the Winter Break, as these communities remain open during the break.
  • All other student residents will move in between Friday, January 15 and Sunday, January 17, during their move-in appointment. Visit the front desk of your assigned residence hall to check-in and receive a key.
  • New spring 2021 apartment residents may move in between Friday, January 15 and Sunday, January 17, 2021. These students should go to the Larzelere Hall front desk between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. to check-in and receive their key.
  • Early arrivals are not permitted.

Students may return to the residence halls on Saturday, Jan. 9 if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Athletes required to be on campus by their coach.
  • Students experiencing food or housing insecurity.
  • Students needing access to stable internet or other academic support/resources.
  • Students required to be on campus for academic reasons such as labs, clinicals, etc.
  • International students and out-of-state students with airline tickets that cannot be changed.
  • CMU student employees who are asked and willing to work.

Will I get a new roommate for spring if we have an empty space in our living unit?

Residence Life will continue to reduce the number of residents in all housing units*. It is possible for some living units to be assigned a new resident for spring.

*Carey and Robinson Halls will remain at 2 students per suite. Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler and Kulhavi Halls will remain at 4 students per suite.

How many students will be assigned to each room/apartment?

  • 2 students per bedroom in Carey, Cobb, and Troutman Halls.
  • 3 students per 4-person suite in Beddow, Calkins, Emmons, Herrig, Larzelere, Merrill, Saxe,

Sweeney, Thorpe, Trout, and Woldt Halls.

  • 2 students per room in Robinson Hall.
  • 1 student per bedroom, or 4 per suite, in the premium halls: Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler, and Kulhavi.
  • 1 student per bedroom in Northwest Apartments and Graduate Housing.

Please note: Residence Life is unable to remove and store unused furniture in each unit. 

When will I know the names of my roommates if I am new to campus for spring 2021?

Students will receive confirmation of their roommate(s) and housing assignment on Housing assignments on Wednesday, January 6, 2021. This notification will be sent to their CMICH email account.

Can I change my meal plan for the spring 2021 semester?

The CentralCard Office will accept meal plan changes for the spring 2021 semester at no charge starting 11/16/20 through 01/10/21.

Beginning 01/11/21 through 02/15/2021, you may change your meal plan for a $15 charge applied to your student account. To make a change, fill out the Meal Plan Change Form.

Do I need to quarantine when I come to campus if I am flying or traveling from another state? 

At this time, CMU is not requiring students to quarantine upon arrival. However, we encourage students arriving from hot-spot locations to be vigilant about wearing a mask, social distancing, handwashing, and avoiding crowds. We also recommend students limit their contact with others in the days before arriving on campus, if possible.

What if I am traveling to CMU from another country?

Students who are returning from international travel or coming to CMU from another country are expected to self-quarantine for 14 days upon their arrival in the United States before coming to campus.

Students returning from international travel who plan to live on campus will be expected to reside in quarantine spaces provided by the Office of Residence Life until the 14-day period has expired. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 989-774-3111 for information about on-campus quarantine housing prior to your arrival. Please note the residence halls open on Saturday, January 9.

When is move-out for spring 2021?

Students are expected to properly checkout of their living unit within 24 hours of their last final exam. The halls and apartments close at 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 8, 2021.

If the University has to move to all-remote learning at some point in the semester, will on-campus housing (residence halls and on campus apartments) remain open? Will room and board payments be refunded?

Like all other institutions, CMU cannot make operational guarantees during this pandemic. Our full intent is to keep the university open with face-to-face classes and to keep our residence halls and apartments open.  

In fact, we did not close any of our housing facilities last spring as we continued to house students who chose to remain on campus. President Bob Davies has been clear that the university will remain open throughout this school year as well. CMU is doing everything it can to continue to serve our students in the face of significant disruption brought on by this pandemic. However, we also realize that this is a very fluid situation, and things can change beyond our control. 

In terms of refunds or credits for housing and meals: If CMU is ordered by the governor or the Health Department to have students leave the residence halls, CMU will make financial decisions at that time. In the event of such a closure, we intend to be fair and equitable.

As we have consistently demonstrated throughout this challenging time, the health and safety of our community remains our highest priority. Every decision we make is guided by this principle.